Sunday, June 9, 2013

E3 Expectations for Nintendo

I read a statement from Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto that asked fans to be patient with the Wii U and to support them while they rally to pump out games. Well E3 is around the corner and I am excited by the buzz around them.

After reading that statement I went out and bought a Wii U. After owning it for about a month and owning only one game for it, “Batman: Arkham City” I can say that I am extremely impressed. I knew, when I went to get it, that I was going to like the system but I had no clue it would shatter my expectations. It's beautiful in every aspect. From the moment you open the box and find the HDMI cable to moment you realize that the all of the menus and content are sharp and Crisp, it becomes clear that Nintendo understand the point that they have to prove.

The first point of course being that this is a system for gamers. It is powerful and capable of keeping up with the competitors. Then you notice the wonderful Game Pad. A controller whose primary function is to play serious games, not motion games. This pad in addition to being a typical controller with triggers, bumpers, four thumb button and two analog sticks also has a HD tablet in the center. If you are comfortable with using a DS with two screens then you can use this; in games it functions the same way. It holds your gadgets, mini maps and other tools used in games. You can even hit the home button pull up the full function browser, go to gamefaqs to look up a walk through, and then return to the game.

Now point number two I took on faith and some are still holding out but it is my hope that we will get confirmation at E3 this year. With less than 48 hours till go time it is now Nintendo time to shine and make good on their promises. We need games and Nintendo has already confirmed that E3 this year will be 100% games but of course it is mostly shrouded in mystery.

What we already know thanks to Nintendo directs is that Nintendo now holds an exclusive partnership with Sega. Which includes bringing classic favorites from Sega such as “Sonic” and “Shinobi” to the virtual console but also a new “Sonic Adventures” game.

We also know that Classic Ip's will be making an appearance. “The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD” remake has been public knowledge for a while but the unconfirmed bit is whether or not we will be getting the removed content from the original added back in. Of course we also know that this is just to tide the fans over till the new Zelda content, which is apparently already in the works.
So pretty!

Other Ip's that are rumored to make an appearance is 3D Mario. I love the “Super Mario Galaxy” series but I really hope they move away from that and give us yet another wonderful and innovative game. We also know that this is the Year of Luigi and they have already been showing off the downloadable content for “New Super Luigi U”.

I personally need new info for Monolith Soft's new game “X” which is speculated to be an addition to the Xenosaga series. Hopefully we will get a whole bunch of that revealed.
Watch in HD if you can. This looks great!

We know that Retro Studios, known for their work on “Donkey Kong” and “Metroid” are working on a secret project for Nintendo. Personally, I hope that this is a true “Star Fox” sequel. Please breath life back into this IP.

And then there is “Super Smash Brothers”. This game should be a no-brainer; they just have to get it correct. I really want to see footage and content from this but alas all we have right now are rumors in the wind.

Other prospects I am excited about include:

-“Mario Kart”
-“Mario Party”
-“Metroid”
-New IP's
-New partnerships with 3rd part developers
-A rich RPG full of awesome.
-This has yet happen ever but please give us “good” Pokemon content for a home system.

Anyways, I love Nintendo. They were my first introduction to gaming and they ignited a passion that I have kept to this day and I will never lose. I really do wish the very best for them this year.
-Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment